Happy 2014!! I hope the New Year is treating you well.
|New Year Fireworks Melbourne 2013-14|
|HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!|
I decided to mark the coming of year with a good old fashioned cocktail party with a few of my closest friends.... and what is a cocktail party without the ever so awesome, boozy cupcakes. Although, I'm less interested in the booze part and more in the cake. So I needed to think up a delicious cupcake flavour that would completely satisfy with its taste and fit my cocktail party.
And while I was dancing around my living room thinking which of my most beloved cocktail mixes should I turn into a dessert, a very familiar song came on the radio....
"I was tired of my lady, we'd been together too long.
Like a worn-out recording, of a favorite song.
So while she lay there sleeping, I read the paper in bed.
And in the personals column, there was this letter I read:
If you like Piña Coladas, and getting caught in the rain..."
I love Piña Coladas... and the rain!!!! Piña Colada Cupcakes... it had been decided. Now to put it all together.
They came out a treat. And so cute with the little pineapple lollies to decorate!! Big hit, perfect for my cocktail night, and the best part of all, if you want mock-tail cupcakes just omit the rum. No need to change anything else. Simples!!!
Piña Colada Cupcakes:
1 Cup Caster Sugar
1/3 Cup Coconut Rum
3/4 Cup Coconut Milk
1/4 Cup Pineapple Juice
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
1 Teaspoon Bi-Carb Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Desiccated Coconut
1 Cup Crushed Pineapple Pieces
225g Cream Cheese
2 Cups Icing Sugar
3 Tablespoons Coconut Cream
3 Tablespoons Coconut Rum
1/2 - 1 Cup Desiccated Coconut (Add to desired consistency)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the rum, coconut milk, pineapple juice and vanilla extract.
5. In another bowl combine the flour, bi-carb and salt.
6. Alternately add the liquid mixture followed by the flour mixture to the butter and mix until smooth.
7. On a low speed, add the desiccated coconut and the pineapple.
8. Divide into cupcake liners (fill about 2/3 full). Bake in oven for 20-25 mins, until a skewer comes out with slight crumbs stuck to it. Leave cupcakes to cool in the tray until the tray is at room temperature then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
9. For the icing; Mix together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the icing sugar gradually until combined. Add the coconut cream and the rum. On a low speed add desiccated coconut to the desired consistency.
10. Spread icing on cupcakes and top with cute little pineapple lollies.