Friday 12 October 2012

A Sweet Obsession - Burch & Purchese



Every month I try to experience something new. The only criteria being that I can only repeat visit if either it is an absolute favorite I have not attended recently or if there is a new event...and every second month there seems to be a new reason to return to Burch & Purchese.













Tonight, the reason for my visit was to celebrate the release of their collaboration with Connoisseur ice cream. I have to admit, when the new flavours appeared in the freezer at our local Coles, I had tasted all four within the fortnight.

A four course dessert evening designed around the four flavours of ice cream, with accompanying wines. Who could resist?









The moment I walked in, I was greeted by name (is this a sign that maybe I am in the store a little too often) and seated right next to the kitchen. Best seat in the house.





I turned to examine what the chefs were preparing and saw Darren with his hands in a foggy bowl, creating the individual elements for the first course. I was sitting on the edge of my seat.


My standout favourite was the salted caramel ice cream sandwich, served as the last course. Could they have rigged the menu so that his flavour was the best?




I was amazed when I discovered that the honey used in their kitchen is from their own bee hives. It tastes amazing.




While waiting for my courses to arrive, and while eavesdropping on the conversation of others on my table, I came to a conclusion about the comparison of Darren Purchese and the Sweet Studio with Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. A more fitting likeness is to Mr Magorium and his Magic Emporium. Everything in the Sweet Studio is not edible, like in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, but it does seem that every thing you eat has an element of surprise, like the toys in the Magic Emporium. Darren reminds me much more of the quirky, happy-go-lucky, modest Mr. Magorium rather than Wonka. The association between desserts and Wonka is made all too often. As the emporium brings a fresh and different outlook on toys, the Sweet Studio brings a fresh and different outlook to desserts.



Don't take my word for how enjoyable the dessert is at the Burch & Purchese Sweet Studio because I know it is no secret that I am a huge fan of their work. Pop in for a visit, decide for yourself and let me know what you think.






Burch & Purchese Sweet Studio on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment