Thursday 24 January 2013

Red Velvet Crinkles with Oreos


I'm am now on a cookie rampage, and Sprinklebakes is spurring me on. The latest concept; Red Velvet Crinkles with Oreos! Yum!


I will admit, I struggled with these. The dough was so sticky and it was hard to get it to attach to the Oreo.


The first 3 or 4 had me sweating in frustration, it was so fiddley! But after my fifth go I had the hang of it and it all started coming together. I later realised that this was due to the fact that i skipped putting the dough in the freezer! Whoops!



If, after cooling in freezer, the stickiness is really that bad then add a little more flour, but try to stay with it because I would have liked mine to be a little more moist I think...






Don't get me wrong, they are delicious!


Red Velvet Oreo Crinkles
(Recipe adapted from Sprinklebakes)

225g butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
Red food coloring (I recommend a paste rather than liquid)
3 1/2 cups plain flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
A large pinch of salt
2 packets of Oreos
1 cup icing sugar

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Cover two baking trays with baking paper.

2. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time then beat in buttermilk, vanilla and red food coloring.

3. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Add flour mix to butter mix and beat on low until just combined. The dough should be very soft and a little sticky.

4. Cover and chill in the freezer until the dough is very cold and easy to handle.

5. Sift icing sugar onto a plate and place within reach of your workspace.

6. Using buttered fingers scoop out a large piece of dough and press down onto the Oreo. Turn the Oreo over and fold the dough so the cookie is completely covered. Roll lightly between the palms of your hands to make the dough a little more ball shaped around the Oreo and roll in the icing sugar.

7. Place dough balls on the baking tray. Spread them out, no more than 8 per large tray. The cookies will spread.
(For a more crinkled appearance; re roll the dough in the sugar before placing in the oven)

8. Bake for 12-14 minutes until cookies are puffed and cracked. Let cool on the tray until tray is able to be touched with bare hands then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Happy baking!
Let me know how you go!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment