But all was not lost, because while I don't like to fry my desserts at home (purely because I can then physically see all the oil that covers it) I was sure I could make a cupcake that, with my eyes closed, could fool me into thinking I was eating a cinnamon donut. And it paid off!
My only regret... I should have made them into tiny bite sized cupcakes rather than regular sized. But there is always next time. Try these beauties out for yourself! Let me know how you went!
Cinnamon Donut Cupcakes:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
100g caster sugar
73g brown sugar
340g plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bi-carb soda
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
40g melted butter
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons hot water
128g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
2. Beat together butter, oil and sugars until smooth.
3. Add eggs one at a time and mix on low until well combined.
4. Add baking powder, bi-carb, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and vanilla.
5. Add the flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with the flour.
6. Scoop into cupcake liners and bake 15-20 mins until bouncy when pressed slightly.
7. In a bowl, whisk butter, sugar, vanilla and water until smooth.
8. Spoon a small amount of glaze into each cupcake and allow to set before serving.